Welcome to Charterhouse Archives
Charterhouse School Archive (in Godalming) is located in the cloisters adjacent to Scholars’ Court and contains the records of the School's activities and administration since 1872. Some registers and printed annual form lists for earlier years in the nineteenth century were transferred when the school moved from London, and a few papers, letters and albums relating to the period before the move have been given by former masters and pupils. Otherwise all earlier records of Thomas Sutton's 1611 foundation, including scholars, are held in the London Metropolitan Archive.
The archive is available to the school community as an educational and administrative resource, and we also welcome research enquiries from the general public.
The following Charterhouse Archive material is now available online:
- The Carthusian magazine 1872-2021
- The Greyfriar magazine 1884-1936
- Scrapbooks of Charterhouse life 1863-1903, compiled by Annie Marion, wife of Headmaster William Haig Brown.
- The OC magazine 2008 - 2016
- Newssheets 1989 - 2006
- Charterhouse War Memorials
- The Charterhouse Registers of Alumni 1769-1975
- School photographs 1868-1939
- Glass slides of school life, the London Charterhouse and Charterhouse in Southwark.
- Assembly Order Books 1613 - 1982
- History of Charterhouse by A H Tod
For further information or to arrange a visit, please contact The Archivist, Catherine Smith, +44 (0) 1483 291604, firstname.lastname@example.org.